Sandalmaking Afternoon

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had some new sandals in the works. Yesterday I had a bit of time to work on them. It's the first time I'm trying this design and they had a too-thick toe strap that was not comfortable. This afternoon I removed those offending toe straps and replaced them with thinner, more comfortable leather. 

Now I'm just waiting for the wet-formed leather soles to dry and I can glue them together tomorrow. 

I also messed around and tried to make a simple leather slide with a low wooden sole. My spoon carving tools came in handy, particularly my little carving axe. 

The upper is a specially angled piece of leather that I came up with, it's a really comfortable yet secure design. I would like the sole to have a bit more curve and toe spring, but I started with a 3/4" thick board, I didn't have much material to to work with. I'm interested in making sandals and clogs with wooden soles but am kind of making it up as I go because strangely, there aren't many resources online for how to make your own clog soles using modern tools. 

Now I'm going back to slippers and book wriitng, but I'll let you know how the sandals turn out. 

4 Comments