My siding story

It has been my plan from the beginning to use local rough cut siding for the studio, and I’m now to that point. I am excited to see what my little building will look like with it’s “skin” on. Strider did the figuring for how many board feet I needed. No matter how many times I try to understand board feet math, I still don’t quite get it. We used a sawmill 15 miles from our house, and the boys and I accompanied Strider on the last trip (out of four) he made to pick up my order. What an interesting place. Usually I’d drive by something like this and ignore it.

Just kinda junky, muddy, and not that interesting to me. Actually getting out of my car and talking to the owner, Lowell, made me appreciate the entire set up. Piles of logs waiting to be sawn are stacked about. An open air shed holds the saw mill itself. A gigantic engine:

powers this fearsome saw:

The saw's teeth are all removable for sharpening. Lowell said he has to stop sawing to sharpen them every day. Here my camera batteries died but trust me when I tell you about the mountain of sawdust behind the shed that is pushed out there by a chain with little metal scoops welded on to it which is moved by a pulley. A very clever set up. They weren‘t sawing the day we were there, which was good-then we could look around. Pretty loud and dangerous place when everything is in operation I‘d imagine. Most of the waste is chipped and sent to a paper mill and the sawdust is used for horse stable bedding. This mill primarily makes hard wood rail road ties and then ships them to Wisconsin to be treated with creosote. Occasionally they do little orders like mine. $310.00 later, all the hemlock siding and exterior trim for the studio. Since it was “on the stump” (otherwise know as still a live, growing tree….) only a couple of weeks ago, we stacked it with spacers between the layers to let air circulate so it will dry out.

I’m figuring by the time my list of odds and ends we need to do before hanging the siding is done the wood will be sufficiently dry to start nailing again.