Blah-g Post


The drippy weather of late has played a big part in the slow start of work on the studio project. After waiting for months for weather warm enough to work, we have had a very rainy spring. I am feeling pretty discouraged today since the tarp leaked all over our meager progress. The joists and the plywood under them (which we put down to eventually hold in insulation...) got soaked. I know my mood will improve if I think about all the stuff we have gotten done, and I’ve been horribly negligent in my attempt to record the progress of this project. So, over the next few days I’ll get you up to date on what we have accomplished so far. (By we I mean myself and my husband Strider as my faithful right hand man. Our boys Eli, 5 and Isaac, 3 are also in on this project, occasionally helping when appropriate, more often getting in the way. Do I sound like a grumpy mom wishing I had more kid free time to work? Hmmm, guess so. Of course it’s a great experience for the boys to help…..But do they have to help SO much to get the full benefit of helping? ) The building site is on a bit of a slope, so we had to do some excavation, one shovel full at a time. Strider brought out the serious chains and magical come-along to move a monster rock or two that were in the way.

We also had to cut down a small elm, which has already been relocated to the wood shed. Strider tells me it was in decline (dying a slow death) because the bigger trees around it were shading it. Still, strange to take a tree’s life prematurely for my own whim. (Yeah, that stack of lumber under a tarp didn’t die of natural causes either, I know. That’s the cool thing about wood-Hooray for renewable resources!) Beginning the foundation work was next. It seems particularly appropriate for one of the first steps of building a studio for fiber art to involve string.

OK it’s masons’ twine, and with it we used an ingenious tiny level that hooks onto the twine. We tied the twine to stakes placed at the corners, and used it to make a level “line” at the height the finished foundation needed to be. This step took a surprisingly long time, but at the end of it we had created a 8’ x 16’ rectangle outlined in pink twine, floating at the edge of the woods. A site specific instillation of the footprint of the project, it looked spare and lovely. The space is now defined.

1 Comment